We’ve listed some of the books, articles, and presentations that have helped inform and inspire our approach. We are also including a few others to help you explore some of the current thinking around best practices in the world of education.
- Unschooling Rules, by Clark Aldrich (foreword by Jeff Sandefer, founder of Acton Academy Austin)
- The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined, by Salman Khan
- The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything, by Sir Ken Robinson
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success, by Carol S. Dweck
- Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder, by Richard Louv
- How a Radical New Teaching Method Could Unleash a Generation of Geniuses, by Joshua Davis
- Creating Innovators, by Erica Swallow
- It’s Time to Rethink How We Are Educating Our Children, by Benjamin Stecher
- Lessons Learned From Great Schools Around the World, by Will Minton
- The Founder of Khan Academy on How to Blend the Virtual with the Physical, by Salman Khan
- Student Centered Learning: Math in the Blended Learning Environment, by Kaylie Reed
- The Secret to Raising Smart Kids, by Carol S. Dweck
- Let Children Take Risks, by Lenore Skenazy
Imagine If We Invented School Today
A short animation on reimagining school.
Rethinking Education: Genius and Heroes
In this TED talk, Jeff Sandefer poses the question of why we no longer apprentice our own children in our trade or craft?
Get Hooked on Nature
Ben Klasky proposes a free and natural remedy to the physical problems kids face: the Great Outdoors.
Grit: the power of passion and perseverance
In this TED talk, Angela Lee Duckworth explains her theory of “grit” as a predictor of success.
Build a school in the cloud
Hear Sugata Mitra’s inspiring vision for Self Organized Learning Environments.
Do Schools Kill Creativity?
A TED talk by Sir Ken Robinson, emphasizing the importance of creativity in education.
Let's teach for mastery — not test scores
A TED talk by Sal Khan, founder of Khan Academy, and Acton Academy visitor.
Acton Academy Austin Middle School/Launchpad interviews
Learn about the student experience at Acton Academy.
Would you prefer a traditional high school or the adventure of a lifetime?